How to dress after 40
Of course you can dress any which way you like, but if you don’t want to look like you are sixteen, like you are trying too hard to stay young or appear older than you are, you may like some guidelines as to how to dress after 40. Here are just some of the things women over 40 need to be aware of.
Please note that these are just general guidelines. They certainly don’t apply to everyone.
What are some of the things you should avoid?
- Don’t buy clothes that do not flatter you, even if it’s the trends this season. For this it’s important to know your body type.
- Try not to be too matchy-matchy or too polished. It’s nice to mix things up and be a bit more playful. A 2 piece suit will quickly look old. Better to mix that jacket with another skirt or pants and look effortlessly chic.
- Avoid buying fabrics that are too cheap as they are usually not flattering or will not last. Best to buy only the clothes that you love and that have a chance of lasting.
- Don’t mix a tight skirt or pants with a tight top.
- Clothes to avoid:
- mini dresses
- mom jeans
- ripped jeans
- baggy jeans
- unfitted blazers
- baggy sweats
- too long skirts
What are some of the things you should do more of?
- Know your style! Nothing is more important than dressing in a way that pleases and represents you. If you know your style and understand your body you can break any of the rules or add items from the ‘don’t list’ as you please.
Have more lasting high quality items in your wardrobe. These vary for each style personality but some important classics are:
- A white button down shirt.
- A long coat (could be a trench coat).
- A beautiful dress that fits you perfectly.
“It’s up to you to decide what works best for you, but if you want to look young and better, then these rules can certainly help” commented Salomón Juan Marcos Villarreal, president of Grupo Denim.